I am all about ease, health, and being realistic about making consistent rituals that I will actually have time to do. This bath is so easy and accomplishes so much.
Detox Bath Essentials
- Epsom Salt. I recommend this brand and 19lb bag size which is so convenient to put under your sink with a scooper (I use an extra measuring cup). You can buy this on Amazon.
- Baking Soda. I recommend this 13lb bag you can buy on Amazon as well, and keeping it under your sink next to the Epsom salt. I use the same scooper for both.
What Epsom Salt and Baking Soda Accomplish Together
- Baking soda alkalizes the water which is important, it sets the stage to allow the Epsom salt to extract toxins from your body.*
- IMPORTANT: You want to alkalize your body as well, so your body does NOT restrict and hold on to your toxins. A simple way to alkalize your body is to drink a tall glass of water with lemon OR drink a glass of water with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in it before your bath. I personally drink water with lemon before my bath – easy and I always have lemons on hand. I buy 7-10 lemons a week because I start my day with a glass of lemon water, then my cup of bone broth with 1/2 lemon squeezed in it.*
Benefits of Epsom Salt Soak
- Prevents magnesium deficiency: Magnesium is an essential mineral our body needs, and many people are deficient. Magnesium plays a vital role in our bodies improving muscle and nerve function and improves blood flow and oxygenation throughout the body.*
- Promotes good sleep*
- Reduces inflammation: Known to help treat athlete’s foot, gout, toenail fungus, bruises, sprains, and sore muscles. If you struggle with a chronic illness, this can possibly be helpful for you to find pain relief because the natural ability the salts have in pulling out harmful toxins improves mineral and sulfate balance in the body. If you are sore from workouts, this really helps a lot.*
- Relieves constipation: The infused minerals stimulate the gut which helps lead to a bowel movement.*
- Inexpensive way to detox
- Can prevent and/or ease migraine headaches*
- Relieves stress: In today’s fast-paced life and demanding responsibility, one can have excess adrenaline and stress that are believed to drain magnesium from the body which is a natural stress reliever. Magnesium is needed for the body to bind appropriate levels of serotonin, which is our mood elevating hormone within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation. This helps reduce irritability and anxiety. I LOVE this de-stress benefit!*
- Relieves depression: A deficiency of magnesium is known to cause depression; regular doses of magnesium help relieve depression.*
- Helps prevent hardening of the arteries and blood clots*
How to Prepare and Take Your Detox Bath
- Use filtered bath water. Either use a home filtration system or use a bath water filter – I use a bath ball filter. The reason for this is you do not want to soak in water that has heavy metals, chlorine, or other hazardous compounds, it defeats the purpose. You also want the water pretty hot to create a nice sweat.
- Put about 1- 1/2 cups of Epsom salt and baking soda in your bath. Approx 1/2 cup of each per 50lbs you weigh.
- Alkalize your body before you bath, see up top under IMPORTANT to learn how.
- Soak for 30 – 40 minutes minimum. The first 15-20 minutes the salts are pulling all the toxins out of your body, and the next 15-20 minutes your body is getting infused with magnesium and sulfate, all the good minerals your body can benefit from. This process is similar to reverse osmosis – pulls out the bad and pulls in the good.
- Frequency: I do this bath at least once a week, but it is great to do them 3 times a week or more if you need the relief.
- Rinse: After your soak, drain the tub and do a quick rinse in washing all the dirty water and toxins you just expelled off of you. At the end, make the water cool/cold and rinse – this is great for blood flow and many other health benefits.
- Apply: Your skin is your biggest organ and now that you just nurtured your body and released toxins you want to make sure you do not put toxic chemicals from commercial type lotions back into your skin. Instead, apply a body butter with argan oil or natural oil. I did a post on 3 simple steps to silky soft skin that you can apply to this bath. I use natural soap bars so I do not use regular commercial brand soaps that have chemicals which can be absorbed into my skin. Always stick to the natural soaps.
I did a post on 4 things I do regularly to detox and this bath is one of them. Do not take Epsom salt baths if you have cuts or burns on your skin, are pregnant, or are highly dehydrated. Also, drink plenty of water when using detox baths. Consult your doctor if you have cardiovascular disease to find out if it is safe for you to do these types of baths.*