What are you making for dinner tonight? This is an EASY and DELICIOUS suggestion! This meal is filled with healthy herbs and healthy fat – so good for you! This is a great year-round meal – winter, spring, summer or fall, you can never go wrong with this easy dinner. Great to make if you are having guests over as well, and I have not met a kid yet who does not like this. Great for family dinners, dinner parties, or a romantic meal.
Easy Mouth Watering Orange Herb Roasted Whole Chicken
Yield 4 servings
- Whole Chicken (if buying the Jidori whole chicken from the Butchery, have them salt it and vacuum seal it, if you do that, you do NOT need to salt it at all or the veggies!)
- 5 red potatoes chopped into quadrants
- 2 cups of large cubed squash
- 1 orange
- 1 onion chopped into 4 quadrants
- 2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh sage chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme chopped
- 8 tablespoons of grass fed butter, I buy Kerrygold brand, they sell that at Ralphs (in gourmet cheese section), Whole Foods or Trader Joes... Organic Valley pasture raised grass-fed butter is great alsoCeltic Sea Salt (only if you do not have the butcher salt and vacuum seal your chicken)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In casserole pan place whole chicken in center, put potatoes, squash, and onions in pan around chicken.
- Melt butter and mix with chopped herbs, drizzle butter mixture over veggies, and rub over chicken and under the skin. Next, cut orange in 1/2 and squeeze fresh orange over entire chicken and veggies.
- Put pan into oven and cook at 350 for 1 hour, then turn up oven to 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Chicken is perfect at 165 degrees internal, I use this meat thermometer.
- Your complete meal is now done and mouth-watering! So easy, only 10-minute prep and then the oven does all the rest. I baste the chicken 1/2 way through cooking just a little to get that extra crisp skin. You don't have to though.
One of my Favorite Butchers – Local & Family Owned
One of my FAVORITE PLACES to buy whole chickens is The Butchery in Newport Beach, because they carry the highest quality local meats from Jidori chicken to KOBE beef, it is family owned, and every butcher there knows their stuff and meats. They give me suggestions on recipes and all the best ideas on what to buy.
The first time I bought their Jidori whole chickens I died when I tasted the flavor and how moist the meat is, just like the butcher said, BEST I EVER HAD, and I have had some good meat. They recommended it to be salted by them and vacuum sealed. I said YES, and WOW was that a great thing!
This butcher is located on the corner of 17th street and Newport Blvd. They are opening another OC location in Crystal Cove near Javiers soon! They have amazing ribeye, pork, and lamb! To DIE FOR! Once you buy from them, you are hooked! That is Taylor in the shot below – he is my regular butcher who helps me. He is full of great cooking ideas! I love this place – they always remember you when you walk in…small town feel, LOVE that!
Want Another Chicken Recipe?
You got it! My chicken feet bone broth recipe is amazing because not only do chicken feet have some amazing health benefits, but this broth is great as a soup base or warm and comforting all on its own. Give it a try!